Sober College School of Addiction Studies is an Approved Education Provider in Florida through the Florida Certification Board (FCB). Our online counselor training program meets all the Florida Addiction Counselor Requirements you need to become certified. Our program allows you to complete all the necessary education you need to become a Certified Addiction Counselor (CAC) in Florida in as little as 6 months or at your own pace. Designed to fit your needs, our comprehensive and flexible counselor training program can help you reach your goals. Our courses were designed by working Addiction Professionals with real-world experiences in the fields of Addiction and Addiction Treatment.
Interested in becoming a Florida Addiction Counselor?
Call 866.615.3276 to speak with an admissions counselor.
Requirements To Become A Certified Addiction Counselor (CAC) in Florida
Below is information about how to become a substance use counselor in Florida based on The Florida Certification Board (FCB) site.
Certified Addiction Counselor (CAC) Content-Specific Training
- Clinical Evaluation: 25 hours
- Treatment Planning: 15 hours
- Counseling: 30 hours
- Case Management and Referral: 10 hours
- Client, Family and Community Education: 10 hours
- Documentation: 10 hours
- Ethical and Professional Responsibilities: 30 hours
- Understanding Addiction/Treatment Knowledge: 60 hours**
- Application to Practice/Professional Readiness: 60 hours*&**
*Must include at least 4 hours of HIV-AIDS and 2 hours of Domestic Violence training.
**CAC applicants may earn the IC&RC reciprocal credential as part of the CAC process by documenting an additional 10 hours of training in each of these performance domains (20 hours total) and passing the IC&RC ADC written exam.
Note: All training must have been completed within the last 10 years.
Related Work Experience Required To Become A Certified Addiction Counselor (CAC) in Florida
- Work experience requirements vary based on the applicant’s formal education.
- High School Diploma/GED: 6,000 hours of direct experience performing addiction-related services at the level expected of a CAC.
- Associate/Vocational Degree or higher: 4,000 hours of direct experience performing addiction-related services at the level expected of a CAC.
Note: All experience must have been gained within the last 10 years.
- On-the-Job Supervision requirements vary based on the applicant’s formal education.
- High School Diploma/GED: 300 hours; must include a minimum of 16 hours per performance domain.
- Associate/Vocational Degree or higher: 150 hours; must include a minimum of 8 hours per performance domain.
Note: All on-the-job supervision must have been completed within the last 10 years.
Other Requirements to Become A Certified Addiction Counselor (CAC) in Florida
- Recommendations 3 professional letters of recommendation for certification.
- Written Exam Florida Certified Addiction Counselor Exam (required)
- IC&RC ADC Exam (optional for applicants desiring international reciprocity)
- Criminal Background Must have a clean criminal history for a minimum of 3-years prior to application for certification, including release from all sanctions.*
- Code of Ethics Must read and sign an attestation agreeing to comply with the FCB Code of Ethical & Professional Conduct.
What is a About a Certified Addiction Counselor (CAC)?
The CAC designation is an intermediate substance abuse credential for those persons who work side-by side with clinical staff to develop and implement client treatment plans, as well as provide specified substance abuse treatment services. The CAC requires a minimum of a high school diploma or general equivalency degree. Experience hours are prorated for applicants with an AA or AS degree. The CAC is the reciprocal level for individuals holding the IC&RC Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ADC) credential.
If you are interested in pursing a career as a Certified Addiction Counselor in Florida, Sober College School of Addiction Studies can help. Learn more about our online substance use counselor certification program, give our admissions team a call at 866.615.3276, or send us a message to learn more.