The Sober College School of Addiction Studies (SCSAS) is a Pennsylvania Certification Board (PCB) Approved Education Provider Education Provider of Counselor Training for those who are looking to become a Certified Prevention Specialist (CPS) in Pennsylvania. SCSAS offers an online course that can fit your schedule while providing you with the most up to date information in the field of Addiction Studies. We make it easy for you to earn the education you need to become a CPS and our course can be completed at your own pace and in as little as 6 months.
To learn more about our one-of-a-kind counselor training program and becoming a CPS give us a call at (866)-615-3276.
How to Become a Certified Prevention Specialist (CPS) in Pennsylvania
Below are the requirements for becoming a Certified Prevention Specialist in Pennsylvania based on the Pennsylvania Certification Board (PCB) site.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university that is recognized by the US Department of Education or the Council on Higher Education Accreditation. An official transcript sent directly from college/university is required.
- 150 hours of education relevant to the domains, of which 24 must be ATOD specific, including six in prevention specific professional ethics and responsibilities.
- 150 hours of on-the-job supervision specific to the prevention domains with a minimum of 10 hours in each domain.
- Supervision is a formal or informal process that is administrative, evaluative, and supportive. It can be provided by more than one person, it ensures quality of care, and extends over time. Supervision includes observation, mentoring, coaching, evaluating, inspiring, and creating an atmosphere that promotes self-motivation, learning, and professional development. In all aspects of the supervision process, ethical and diversity issues must be in the forefront.
- Pass the IC&RC Examination for Prevention Specialists.
- Planning & Evaluation
- Prevention Education & Service Delivery
- Community Organization
- Public Policy & Environmental Change
- Professional Growth & Responsibility
Certification: $350 (fee must accompany application and materials)
Exam Cancellation: $150