Clients live full-time at Sober College, providing them with a safe sober environment and helping them successfully manage both the physical and emotional challenges that arise in early sobriety. Our gender-specific, family-style living environments allow clients to develop accountability, independence, and confidence. Through our progressive treatment phases, they learn and practice new skills and strengthen their communication, which is vital to the development of healthy relationships with peers in treatment, recovery, and life long after they leave our care.
Available housing facilities are located throughout quiet, upper-middle-class neighborhoods in the Woodland Hills, California area, a suburb of Los Angeles. Just 30 minutes from Malibu, our homes are upscale and comfortable and encourage community among clients. Sober College’s residential program is designed to change clients’ outlook on drug and alcohol abuse and life through our Five Core Competency treatment model and provide them with the tools and skills they need to live independent, sober, and successful lives.
Clients at Sober College benefit from numerous support methods that foster independent growth and happiness through sobriety. Our long term residential drug rehab your child with a safe, supportive environment that encourages them to explore their interests and develop a new identity in recovery.
“Designed specifically for young adults, our drug treatment programs better prepare our clients for long-term sobriety and independent living.“
Have questions regarding our one-of-a-kind treatment program young adults?
Call 800.465.0142 to speak with an admissions counselor.
An Environment 100% Focused on Your Child’s Recovery
- Safety & Support for Your Child’s Recovery: Being at Sober College allows your child to focus entirely on their recovery. Instead of juggling the responsibilities of life along with their recovery on their own, your child is given the expert support and guidance they need to developing the skills necessary to support an independent life free from the influence of substances.
- Building a Sober Community: Surrounding your child with other young adults looking to achieve sobriety strengthens their support network and minimizes the risk of enabling factors deterring their success.
- Learn & Practice Skills for Independent Living: Clients are able to learn and practice living life as a young adult without drugs and alcohol, preparing them for long-term success.
Allowing Your Child to Discover or Rediscover Their Passions
- Passions for Life is the Foundation of Long-Term Sobreity: Sober College enables your child to explore a variety of extracurricular activities that are fun and engaging. From our recording studio to our extramural sports teams, we are dedicated to helping our clients live and enjoy life sober.
- Helping Your Child Build Confidence & A Life Worth Staying Sober For: By trying new things and pushing their limits, your child can develop a newfound sense of confidence and increased self-esteem when they see what they are capable of. Many of the fun activities your child participates in becomes a means of self-expression and a foundation for their new sober identity.
Long-Term Care = Life-Long Success
- Support & Time to Practice Long-Term Sobriety: Unlike other treatment programs that simply help young adults get off drugs and alcohol and then discharge them, Sober College provides clients with the resources they need to achieve successful, independent management of long-term sobriety.
- Progressive Treatment Creates a Smoothe, Successful Transition to Independent Living: Our long term dual-disgnosis residential treatment program is progressive and allows clients the time necessary to learn and master the skills they will need when they transition to independent living. Over time, clients earn more and more privileges allowing for a smooth transition after treatment.
- Building a Community & Commitment to Recovery: Our program requires a minimum commitment of 90 days but most clients stay between six months and one year. Since our drug addiction program is designed for young adults, clients are able to build relationships with other sober young people, which helps our clients to solidify their commitment to their recovery. Building relationships and experiencing experiential therapies, creative arts activities, sports and more, our clients find their passions and have they time they need to build the foundation of a life worth staying sober for.
Recovery Combined with a College Experience
- Healing the Brain After Substance Abuse: Education can help heal a brain that has been damaged by drug and alcohol use. Our rehab is designed for college students and allows them to take accredited college classes on-site Through education, your child can heal the damage addiction can cause while experiencing a college setting in a safe environment, better preparing them for life after treatment.
- Don’t Put Your Life or Education on Hold to Get the Help You Need: Your child will lose no time in recovery and can continue to advance their education through accredited college courses.
- Easing the Transition from Treatment to College or a Vocation: Living in a sober community while attending classes gives your child the college experience without the pitfalls and temptation they may face elsewhere. Armed with educational advancement, your child can enter the real world ready to continue their growth and development.
- Personal Academic Coaches Help Guide Your Loved One & Prepare Them for the Future: If your child needs to graduate high school, apply to college, transfer back to their college, or is interested in pursuing a vocational track, our staff are here to help guide them through this process.
24/7 Staff Support
- Constant Support & Safety: Professional staff are on-site 24/7 to make sure your child is safe and supported. Round-the-clock supervision ensures we are available to intervene at a moment’s notice and to provide support and care when needed.
- Expert Staff that Specialize in Young Adult Treatment: Our clinical staff has decades of combined experience working with young adults struggling with substance abuse and mental health disorders. This specialized experience and focus on young adults ensures that our clients receive the most effective and comprehensive care.
- With drug testing and monitoring, Sober College provides a safe environment in which your child can recover.
Sober College’s holistic approach to treatment evolves to meet the changing needs of your child throughout recovery. As your child’s needs change through the different phases of addiction recovery, we adjust to ensure treatment continues to be effective and beneficial.
PHASE 1: Assessment & Goal Setting (approx. 0-90 days)
- Comprehensive Competency Assessment & Treatment Planning. When applying to Sober College, parents complete a detailed application that is reviewed by our Executive Team prior to admission. This gives us the background we need to ensure that we are the best fit for every young adult that walks through our doors. Upon admission, each clients is assessed in all Five Core Competencies – Sobriety, Emotional Growth, Productivity, Life Skills and Fitness. Using these tools a client’s treatment plan is developed and short and long-term goals are set.
- Every clients is matched with their own personalized treatment team. Using the information from the admission application and intake assessments each client is assigned a hand-picked treatment team. The treatment team stays with each client throughout his or her time at Sober College and ensures that each client is succeeding in all Five Core Competency Areas.
- Achieving Balance & Success. A client needs to be progressing in all Five Core Competency areas based on their own individualized treatment plan in order to move through the different phases of our program and earn privileges. Achieving goals within emotional growth, recovery, life skills, productivity, and fitness helps ensure that every young adults is learning the tools they need to succeed in the next phase of our program and life after treatment.
- 24 hour staffing, awake overnight staff, and random drug testing. These elements of our program are consistent throughout the first 6 months to ensure out community is safe and protected.
PHASE 2: Implementation & Senior Program (approx. 91 – 180 days)
- Beginning the transition to independent living. Clients have the opportunity to start to take more ownership of their schedules, chore completion, academics, and daily planning.
- Pursuing educational & vocational goals. Clients can continue to take classes on-site at Sober College, or attend a local community college or a trade school depending on their personal educational or career goals. Our Academic Coaches are also available to assist in the college application, transfer, or reintegration process. If a client is pursuing a vocational track, they can work one-on-one with their coach or participate in our Occupational program where they can get assistance with resume building, mock-interviews, and career planning. Clients who show an interest in a career path are encouraged to get a job and begin working.
- Clients move from the primary house to apartment-style living. Living in an apartment with fewer people allows our clients to get a feel for what college form, or independent living would be like.
- 24 hour staffing in a separate living space, and random drug testing. Clients get the feel of independent living with the support of staff. Staff occupy a separate apartment and performs regular checks on the property 24 hours a day. As in all phases, there is an awake overnight staff as well.
PHASE 3: Independent Living (approx. 6+ months)
- Sober Living. Clients in sober living make their own schedules but continue to meet with their counselors and therapists, practice life skills, and work and/or attend school.
- Personalized Aftercare. Whether they are living in one of our sober living homes or off-site, aftercare and sober living clients can still attend therapy, psychiatry, academic counseling, and classes. They can maintain their gym membership, use the music, film, or art studio, and more, depending on their own individualized interests and needs.
- Clients are truly living independently. With less supervision at home clients are truly experiencing sober, independent living, however, they are still drug tested regularly and randomly. Clients are utilizing the tools they learned while in treatment and leading happy, successful, and sober lives.
- Alumni Program & Community Involvement. Sober Living and aftercare clients are encouraged to participate in Sober College events. The Sober College Alumni programs help clients stay connected, as do our athletic teams.
Note: Our program structure is not meant to be equated to levels of care in regards to insurance billing. We also offer academic outpatient and outpatient services to clients not living in our housing.
Talk to Sober College About Residential Treatment Options
Finding the right residential rehab for your child is the first step to giving them a chance at a full and healthy independent life. Give us a call at 800.465.0142 or fill out a contact form to talk with our admissions team about whether Sober College is right for them.