The number of options for drug and alcohol rehab can be overwhelming for addicts, their friends and families.
And, while there are a number of treatment options available, long-term drug rehab facilities offer an abundance of benefits that cannot be provided with alternative treatment methods.
Methods such as going “cold turkey” provide no real physical or psychological support and can be an isolating experience, while other options, such as outpatient treatment, provide elements of support without consistency. Instead, long-term rehab provides individuals with physical, mental and emotional support around the clock in a safe and supervised environment. For many, a drug rehab facility provides the benefits that enable successful, long-term sobriety.
- Removal of Negative Influences. A drug rehab facility separates clients from enabling peers and environments. Clients’ communication with those outside of the treatment facility is limited and monitored to ensure negative influences do not discourage sober growth or provide accessibility to illicit substances.
- Drug and Alcohol Free Environment. Long-term addiction treatment requires clients to live at the treatment facility, providing them a safe and stable environment. Unlike other treatment options that allow clients to return to environments that may provide easy access to illicit substances, the treatment facility has no alcohol or drugs on the premises. Clients are required to stay on campus and cannot leave unless their exits are approved or supervised.
- Structure. A rehab facility provides clients with structure that is not available in other forms of treatment. Many clients lack structure in their daily lives which may enable substance abuse. In long-term rehab, clients’ days are filled with therapeutic activities designed to re-engage them in healthy activities that not only help them abstain from drugs and alcohol but also teach them the tools they need to support their newfound sobriety.
- Constant Support. Long-term rehab facilities provide access to support 24/7. Surrounded by a staff of professionals at all times, clients are able to access assistance at any time of the day. This constant access to support minimizes the likelihood of relapse and provides clients with the assistance they need during critical moments.
- Supervision. Early sobriety can be especially difficult as many clients experience physical and mental withdrawal symptoms. A drug rehab facility provides medical support that can alleviate symptoms of withdrawal. This is also beneficial to loved ones as they are not witness to the physical and mental struggles that many must overcome in the early stages of recovery.
- Self Focus. Long-term drug treatment programs allow clients to focus on themselves rather than be distracted by the tasks and stress of everyday life. Clients can invest in personal growth rather than pouring their energy into activities and people that may distract them.
- Sober Peers. A drug rehab facility allows young adults to develop healthy relationships with peers who share similar experiences and are also working towards obtaining sobriety. For many, drugs and alcohol are a means of relating to peers. Living and working together in a sober environment helps clients grow alongside their peers and provides additional support that is critical in the recovery process.
- Therapy Options. Long-term treatment provides clients with numerous therapeutic experiences to support them physically, mentally and emotionally. Experiential therapies are another component of the treatment process. Utilizing different types of therapies allows clients to see how the lessons learned in treatment directly apply to their experiences in the real world. Many of the therapies provide healthy outlets for clients and may result in the development of new hobbies and interests that fill time previously used to obtain and abuse substances.
- Nutritional Assistance. Many clients also lack proper nutrition which can exacerbate symptoms of substance abuse and worsen the withdrawal experience. Inpatient treatment provides custom diets for each client that support them through the initial withdrawal process and in their continued recovery. A proper diet strengthens body and mind, assisting clients in their sober development.
- Tools for the Real World. Long-term drug rehab is more than the process of helping clients abstain from substance abuse; it is also the process of developing skills and tools to support a sober lifestyle. Treatment helps clients overcome triggers and negative influences in the real world. Clients are able to circumvent relapse through healthy action due to the lessons learned in long-term care.